Summer Reading & Rec program starts June 1, 2020
Summertime and our annual Summer Reading Program will look a little different this year in the shadow of the Coronavirus Pandemic. We are taking extra precautions to protect the health and safety of our avid readers as we offer a program that allows interactive fun while maintaining physical distance. The most valuable rewards kids earn from summer reading are enhanced reading skills and a deeper love for learning. We are committed to support that by connecting them with great books and reading challenges.
Summer Reading and Recreation is an engaging program that encourages all ages to read, promotes physical activity, and allows families to discover new things by participating in challenges and activities. This year’s slogan is “Imagine Your Story” and the program runs from June 1 through July 31.
How it works
- Starting June 1, visit the Library’s summer reading page, and follow the links to register yourself and your family members through the online tracker – Wandoo Reader. Start logging reading minutes and complete activities to earn great prizes. You can also request a paper form to pick up from the Library through curbside-pickup or download one from the Library’s Summer Reading Program webpage.
- Log the number of minutes you read each day and earn prizes.
- 250 points = food coupon
- 500 points = food coupon
- 1,000 points = summer t-shirt
Any reading counts – books, comic books, magazines, you name it! You can also listen to a grown-up read.
- Complete bonus activities and challenges and earn extra points for entries in weekly prize drawings! Bonus activities include scavenger hunts, StoryWalk, and take-home Tuesday kits. Connect, play, and learn each week with our interactive kits that include books, crafts, activities, and snacks. 100 @home kits will be distributed every Tuesday at the Nancy Carol Roberts Memorial Library from 4 pm-6 pm. (curbside-pickup)
Follow us on Facebook and tune in every Tuesday morning at 10 am for Live videos and more opportunities to participate in bonus challenges.
- We challenge you to read just 20 minutes each day and track your minutes to help reach our community goal of 100,000 total minutes read this summer.
Don’t forget, the Library is offering curbside service. Call us at (979) 337-7201 or go online to reserve Library materials. Pick-up days are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 am-4 pm only. Give us a call when you arrive for curbside checkout. One-hour computer appointments are available by appointment too.