About Development Services
The City of Brenham would like to thank you for choosing our City for your future project. We consider our community stakeholders our customers and partners for a viable long term successful community. We welcome all new projects to our community and believe a diverse economy is not only a good thing but a necessary thing for everyone's long term success.
Mailing Address: PO Box 1059, Brenham, TX 77834-1059
Physical Address: City Hall, 200 W. Vulcan St., Brenham, TX 77833
Operating Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday
Main Contact Phone: 979-337-7220
Inspection Request Line: 979-337-7220
Main Fax: 979-337-7218
General Email Inquiries: Please contact Sarah Hill.
Main Contact Phone: 979-337-7220
|Dev. Svcs. Director||Stephanie Doland||979-337-7269|
|Project Planner||Shauna Laauwe||979-337-7215|
|Building Official||Allen Jacobs||979-337-7214|
|Building & Health Inspector||David Doelitsch||979-337-7216|
|Planning Tech. &
|Admin. Assistant||Sarah Hill||979-337-7211|
|Code Compliance||Billy Rich
Robert "Bob" Lawrence
The Development Services Department strives to provide the public with support and information to build and maintain an attractive city in which to live, work, and play.
The Development Services Department offers professional advice and technical expertise on development related topics. Specifically, the department provides development services including zoning, platting, land use, building permits, sign permits, inspections, code enforcement, and health inspections. The department is comprised of the following four divisions:
Popular Links & Resources
- Permits & Applications Page
- Permits, Applications, & Inspections Fee Schedule
- Contractor Registration Form
- Code Of Ordinances
- Current Building Codes
- Comprehensive Plan, Plan 2040: Historic Past, Bold Future
- Monthly Building Permit Data
- Newly Adopted Sign Ordinance
- Non-Building Licensing & Permitting
Customer Service Survey
Help us improve our services by providing feedback. Please click to take our 2-minute customer satisfaction survey.
Permits and Applications
The City of Brenham would like to thank you for choosing our City for your future project. We consider our community stakeholders our customers and partners for a viable long-term successful community. We welcome all new projects to our community and believe a diverse economy is not only a good thing but a necessary thing for everyone's long term success. We also understand the costs associated with new or existing remodel construction projects. We will do our best to work with our customers to make sure we can process all projects in an expedient manner to ensure costs associated with dealing with the City of Brenham are kept to a minimum.
Development Services Checklists & Helpful Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I Need A Permit?
- Site Plan Submission Requirements
- Commercial Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Site Plan Submittal Example
- Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)
- Fee Schedule
- Utility Tap Fees
- Manufactured Home Installation Requirements
Permit applications along with a set of plans are required for projects within the City. There is a ten business day plan review process unless special circumstances/delays occur which could extend the plan review process. No work may be performed until a permit has been issued by the city and permit fees received.
- General Application Plan Review
- Building Permit Application
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Fire Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application
- Network Node ROW Permit
- Construction Permit Application
- Floodplain Permit Application
Inspections must be scheduled one business day in advance by the contractor by calling 979-337-7220.
- Residential Checklist
- Commercial Checklist
- Plat Application
- Preliminary Plat/Master Plan
- ROW Abandonment Permit
- Special Exception Application
- Variance Request (to Appendix A) Application
- Variance Request (to Subdivision Ordinance) Application
- Zone Change and Specific Use Permit Request Application
- Zoning Text Amendment Application
- Zoning Verification Form
Application Deadline Calendar
Residential and commercial general contractors shall provide general liability insurance. Residential and commercial subcontractors shall provide general liability insurance. The City of Brenham is required to be the Certificate Holder.
Contractors that are licensed by the state must provide the city with a copy of their current license and driver's license. A Master may sign a statement that allows a person with a Journeyman's License to perform work under their license.
The City of Brenham requires the owners of all mobile home parks within the city limits to obtain an annual Mobile Home Park Permit in the name of their park.
Permits cost $5.00 per space and must be renewed every January 1st. To apply for a Mobile Home Park Permit, please contact Development Services at 979-337-7220.
The City requires that all vendors, solicitors, peddlers, and handbill distributors obtain a permit before operating within the city limits. Applications for vendors/solicitors permits can be picked up at the Development Services Office (Main Lobby in City Hall), or by clicking here.
As outlined in the City's ordinance, once an application is submitted, the City will investigate the truth and accuracy of the information provided and a permit will be issued within five (5) business days. If for any reason an application is denied, the applicant will be notified in writing.
The cost of a permit is $25.00 along with a per-person badge fee of $3.00 (if applicable). All permits are valid for thirty (30) days from the date of issuance.
For more detailed information or assistance, please call the Development Services Office at 979-337-7220
- Fixed Food Establishment Permit Application
- Mobile Food Establishment Application & Guidelines
- Temporary Food Event Application
- Temporary Food Event Presentation
Development Codes & Ordinances
The following chapters of the Brenham Code of Ordinances pertaining to the Development Services Department:
- Chapter 6: Buildings and Structures
- Chapter 8: Fire Protection and Prevention
- Chapter 12: Health and Sanitation
- Chapter 14: Mobile Homes, Manufactured Homes and Manufactured Home Parks
- Chapter 21: Signs
- Chapter 23: Subdivisions
- Appendix A: Zoning
Adopted Building Codes
The City of Brenham has adopted the 2015 Version of the International Building Codes, including the following codes:
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2014 National Electric Code (NEC)
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2015 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
Please reference Chapter 6: Building and Structures of the Brenham Code of Ordinances for a complete list of local amendments to the adopted codes.
Note: The City of Brenham adopted the 2015 codes in 2019. Please click here to see a summary significant of changes between the 2012 and 2015 adopted codes.
Design Standards & Specifications
Adopted Long-Range Plans
- Comprehensive Plan – Historic Past, Bold Future: Plan 2040
- Downtown Master Plan
- Parks Master Plan
- Library Strategic Plan
- Thoroughfare Plan
- Tourism Strategic Action Plan