Building Permits & Inspections
Welcome to Brenham
The City of Brenham would like to thank you for choosing our City for your future project. We consider our community stakeholders our customers and partners for a viable long term successful community. We welcome all new projects to our community and believe a diverse economy is not only a good thing but a necessary thing for everyone's long term success. We also understand the costs associated with new or existing remodel construction projects. We will do our best to work with our customers to make sure we can process all projects in an expedient manner to ensure costs associated with dealing with the City of Brenham are kept to a minimum.
The City of Brenham has adopted the following codes:
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC) 2012 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
- 2014 National Electric Code (NEC) 2012 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2012 International Plumbing Code (IPC) 2012 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2012 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- The codes adopted by the City of Brenham server as a minimum. The Code of Ordinances and Chapter 6 Building and Structures is available on this website.
- Development Packet
- Commercial Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Plan Review Checklist
- Utility Tap Fees
- Fee Schedule
Applications & Permitting
Permit applications along with a set of plans are required for projects within the City. There is a ten business day plan review process unless special circumstances/delays occur which could extend the plan review process. No work may be performed until a permit has been issued by the city and permit fees received.
- Contractor Registration Form
- Building Permit Application
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
Inspections must be scheduled one business day in advance by the contractor by calling 979-337-7220.
Commercial Insurance Requirements
Commercial general contractors shall provide general liability insurance. The City of Brenham is required to be the Certificate Holder. Commercial subcontractors shall provide general liability insurance. The City of Brenham is required to be the Certificate Holder.
Residential Insurance Requirements
Residential general contractors shall provide general liability insurance. The City of Brenham is required to be the Certificate Holder. Residential subcontractors shall provide general liability insurance. The City of Brenham is required to be the Certificate Holder.
Contractors that are licensed by the state must provide the city with a copy of their current license and driver's license. A Master may sign a statement that allows a person with a Journeyman's License to perform work under their license.
Building Standards Commission
Building Inspections serves as the staff liaison to the Building Standards Commission.
To report a building code violation or a dangerous structure contact Allen Jacobs, Building Official.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Search for file name:
Documents sorted by _RECORDID in Descending Order within category