The City Secretary is an officer of the City, required by the City's Charter, and is appointed by the City Council.
The Office of City Secretary maintains and preserves the official records of the City, including Council minutes, contracts, agreements, ordinances, resolutions, and deeds. The City Secretary is the designated Records Management Officer for the City. In addition, the City Secretary provides elections services to all voters and candidates. The City Secretary's Office is also responsible for the issuance of certain permits and licenses including alcoholic beverage licenses, vehicles for hire, sanitation franchise, and hotel/motel occupancy taxes.
In addition to the statutory duties of the position, the City Secretary also:
- Provides support, assistance, and information to the City Council
- Encourages public participation in the municipal government process; and
- Provides daily assistance to all administrative departments of the City of Brenham
If you would like additional information about the City Secretary, please call 979-337-7567
City Secretary Biographies
City Secretary - Jeana Bellinger, TRMC, CMC
Jeana Bellinger has been with the City of Brenham since November 2006 and was appointed City Secretary by the City Council on October 16, 2008. Prior to her appointment as City Secretary, she was the Administrative Assistant to the City Manager.
In 2010 Jeana obtained her Bachelor's degree in business management from LeTourneau University and received her Texas Registered Municipal Clerk (TRMC) certification through the University of North Texas. In 2016 she received her Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) certification through the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.
She is an active member of the Texas Municipal Clerks Association (TMCA) having served on the Audit Committee, the Scholarship Committee, and the Clerk of the Year Committee. Jeana is also an active member of the Capital Chapter of Municipal Clerks and is currently serving her third term as the Chapter President. Jeana was selected Capital Chapter Clerk of the Year in both 2015 and 2016.
Jeana and her husband, Eric, are empty-nesters residing in Hempstead who enjoy spending time with their four grandchildren.
Deputy City Secretary - Kacey Weiss, TRMC
Kacey Weiss has been with the City of Brenham since April 2012. She was appointed Deputy City Secretary by the City Council on November 6, 2014. Prior to her position as Deputy City Secretary, she was a Level 1 Certified Court Clerk for the Brenham Municipal Court.
Kacey obtained her Associate's Degree in Speech from Blinn College in May 2000. She received her Level 1 Certified Court Clerk certification in January 2014. In November 2017, Kacey received her Texas Registered Municipal Clerk (TRMC) certification through the University of North Texas.
She is a member of St. John's United Church of Christ in Burton where she is very involved and teaches Sunday School. She is also a member of the Texas Municipal Clerks Association (TMCA) and is a member of the Capital Chapter of Municipal Clerks. Kacey and her husband, Chad, reside in Brenham and have one son, Cade.
Permits and Licenses
Looking for Building Inspections & Permits?
- Alcoholic Beverage Licenses As allowed in Section 11.38 of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, the City can levy and collect a fee equal to, or not more than, one-half of the State's fee for each permit issued by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) for premises located within the city limits of Brenham.
In order to obtain your permit, please contact the local TABC office at 979-260-8222. Once the application process is complete, the applicant will be notified of the amount due for the City of Brenham permit. If you have any questions about obtaining your City alcoholic beverage permit, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 979-337-7375.
- Mobile Home Park Permits The City of Brenham requires the owners of all mobile home parks within the city limits to obtain an annual Mobile Home Park Permit in the name of their park.
Permits cost $5.00 per space and must be renewed every January 1st. To apply for a Mobile Home Park Permit, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 979-337-7375.
- Non-consent Towing The City of Brenham requires all towing companies to obtain a Non-Consent Tow Contract before operating within the city limits. For information on how to obtain a contract, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 979-337-7375.
- Vehicles for Hire The City requires that all taxicabs obtain a permit before operating within the city limits. Applications for taxicab permits can be picked up in the City Secretary's Office (Suite 206 in City Hall).
- Vendor/Solicitor Permits The City requires that all vendors, solicitors, peddlers, and handbill distributors obtain a permit before operating within the city limits. Applications for vendors/solicitors permits can be picked up at the City Secretary's Office (Suite 206 in City Hall), or by clicking here.
As outlined in the City's ordinance, once an application is submitted, the City will investigate the truth and accuracy of the information provided and a permit will be issued within five (5) business days. If for any reason an application is denied, the applicant will be notified in writing..
The cost of a permit is $25.00 along with a per-person badge fee of $3.00 (if applicable). All permits are valid for thirty (30) days from the date of issuance.
For more detailed information or assistance, please call the City Secretary's Office at 979-337-7375
- Boarding Home Permits The City requires boarding home facilities to obtain a permit before operating within the city limits. Permit applications can be picked up at the City Secretary's Office (Suite 206 in City Hall), or by clicking here.
As outlined in the City's ordinance, once an application and the applicable fees are submitted, the City will inspect each boarding home prior to issuing an annual permit. For a copy of the inspection checklists please click here.
View the City's boarding home ordinance, and inspection checklist, or for more detailed information or assistance, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 979-337-7375.
Unclaimed Property - How to Claim Your Property
- Look for your name or your business name on the City of Brenham's Unclaimed Funds report:
- If the amount shown is greater than $100 your claim MUST be submitted to the State of Texas Comptroller's Office. Go to http://comptroller.texas.gov/ or call 800-321-2274 for details.
- If you would like to file a claim to retrieve the property being held by the City of Brenham, complete the appropriate claim form and return it along with the required documentation to:
City of Brenham
P. O. Box 1059
Brenham, TX 77834-1059
Attn: City Secretary
City of Brenham
City Secretary's Office
200 W. Vulcan, Suite 206
- Once your claim form is received and the supporting documents verified for accuracy, a check will be mailed to you within 90 days. If questions and/or problems arise while processing your claim, the City Secretary will contact you either by phone or U.S. mail.
- If you have any questions related to the filing of your claim, you may contact the City Secretary at 979-337-7567.
Which Claim Form To Use?
- Original Owner, Claim Form A: Use this form if your name is shown on the Unclaimed Funds Report and you are the person claiming the property.
- Business Owner, Claim Form B: Use this form if you are the owner of the business listed on the Unclaimed Funds Report or if you are an authorized representative of the business listed.
- General, Claim Form C: Use this form if you are an heir, trustee, executor, administrator, or parent of the person listed on the Unclaimed Funds Report. You must also use this form if you are an officer of an organization listed on the Report.